Thursday, September 25, 2008

Favourite Things Thursday - Granola!



Hello! Thursday is around again bringing the fun meme created by our friend Blue.

One of my Favourite Things is Granola!



I don't know about you, but I can't resist it! Specially for breakfast, when I need that spark of energy to start the day well, before taking my cup of chocolate and bread, I always make a bowl of sliced bananas with granola... Or just granola with yogurt... Or everything together!

This is something that we always have at home, because everybody loves it, including Lucas. I usually make it myself, it's easy:

4 cups of rolled grains
2 cups of raw almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup of linseed
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/2 cup of ground flax seed.
1/2 cup dried fruits, to be added after cooked. I like dried raisins and apple.
1/3 cup of honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of salt

Preheat the oven before starting.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together, and then stir into dry ingredients. Stir everything well to incorporate.

Spread the mixture into a large baking dish lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until getting golden and dry. It's good to stir every 10 minutes to ensure even goldening. Don't forget to add the dried fruits when it is totally cooled. Then store in the refrigerator in glass jars. It's delicious!

Granola is a great source of fiber and vitamins, and it's very healthy. I only need to be careful not to eat too much, so tasty it is!