Friday, September 18, 2009

Night readings


I have always been the kind of person who loves to read before sleeping I just can't help it. If I don't read at least one page before closing my eyes, there's something missing. An I'm also the kind of person who - many times - wakes up in the middle of the night to drink a glass of water (estrategically placed on the bedside table) and then read a little bit more.


Since I move to mom's this didn't change. Right now I'm finishing a super great book by the smart writer, composer, jornalist, music critic, live cultural encyclopedia, Nelson Motta. You know, that kind of book that you don't want to stop reading?? Exactly. This is a biography about Brazilian music, from the late 50s, when the author was very young, till 2000. It embraces all stories involving artists, from Tom Jobim, Elis Regina and Joao Gilberto, to Rita Lee, Barao Vermelho (this video is from the first Rock in Rio in '85 - where my siblins DIDN"T take me because I was too young, arght!) and Marisa Monte. From Bossa Nova to Brazilian Rock'n'Roll - which is a very peculiar one. It's delightful to read it, because I, like most Brazilian readers, know quite well the songs and professionals portraited with grace and great humour by him. Some parts are painful, hen Motta describes some legends' deaths, but in general, it's a light-reading book, that brought me back to my teenager years in the far, far 80s, when I used to rock my skeleton listening to Lulu Santos, Blitz and to cry for the end of a teen love at the sound of Lobão. It's like reading someone' stolen diary.

I feel so sorry to see that I only got a few pages to have fun with...

6 comentários:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I'm up all night reading or drawing. It's funny, I read only at night (unless it's something for a course or business). But novels, just at night!

Tori said...

I love reading before bed. Right now I am re-reading The Mists of Avalon.
It's interesting to see what you are reading! That book sounds great. Enjoy your books!

Powell River Books said...

I'm the same way. I read until I get sleepy, unless it is a really great book and then I might stay up pretty late. Our local thrift store is a good source for books, they are only 50 cents so I always have a big stack to work on. There's nothing worse than running out of reading material! - Margy

Janet said...

I also read each night before I fall asleep. And when I'm reading a good book I don't want it to end. Your book sounds very interesting....I wonder if they have it at my library.

Bridgett said...

I'm the very same way...I must read at least a few pages before bed. It just brings on the peacefulness and contentment.

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

)O(
boo

Michele said...

Hi Nydia, was wondering if you got my email I sent about 2 weeks ago? If not, let me know and I can resend it.
Hope you are doing well.

Hugs and kisses♥

~Michele~