Thursday, October 1, 2009

The many faces of the Goddess for a little witch




Last night, before sleeping, Lucas asked me why I don't make any god in felt. I said he made a good question and that I would start working on a pattern for some gods. Then he asked me why there are so many gods and goddesses. I explained that they are aspects of the same goddess and god. Obviously this was too abstract for his mind, so I explained, "I am your mom, right? But I am also a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a niece, a cousin, a grand-daughter... But I am still your mom, it's only that different people see me from different ways, do you understand? That's the same with the gods. There are different ones for different things." He gave a long, "aaaah, now I understand!", so confident and happy for really understanding, that I felt I did gave the right answer - which is always something so delicate for me, I never want to fail! But with little kids, the best way is to put things under a point of view that he's used to, like family, in this case. Now I'm sure my little witch will not get confused about the several names he listen to me talking about all the time! :o)

12 comentários:

Anonymous said...

That was a great way of putting it for Lucas to understand. You are such a great Mom!!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I just had a similar conversation with my daughter! I think you explained it better than I did about the aspects of the god/dess, though!

Anonymous said...

That was a great way to explain it to him. I don't think I could have explained it better myself.

Divaeva said...

wow - wish I had things explained to me like that years ago! Cheers to you - most awesome mom! <3

Mother Moon said...

ah... the wisdom of a mother.. you just have to love it...

Tori said...

That is such a good way to explain it! If anyone ever asks me I will definitely use that. Lucas is lucky to have it explained so clearly to him by such a loving mother.

Danni said...

What a wonderful way to describe it to Lucas! I'm going to have to store that away for future use when someone asks me. :)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Yes, when teaching, start from the point of something known and then move to the unknown. This is extremely useful in teaching math to little ones but few elementary teachers realize it...You would make such a fabulous teacher my dear!!!

Bridgett said...

Awww...you did a great job explaining! I'll keep that in mind when my little one starts asking questions. :)

)O(
boo

p.s. Thank you for your kind words about my story.

Jenna Gayle said...

I'm pretty sure that's the best any one has ever put it!!

Dani said...

That's great! I'm trying to teach my Christian sister in law about Wicca and she gets very confused about multiple gods. So I sent this to her. I think she will finally understand and she's 40!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I like the way You explained it to Lucas! That is just like I try to explain it (mostly when it comes to christianity, Islam and judaism. We just look upon good from different perspectives. In a way I think we could say that about You and I too :-)
Take care!
Christer.