Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I know the year is in the end when...




... My mother starts baking her secret recipe's Holland honey breads to sell! I can smell the wonderful scent that immediately takes me back to my childhood. Mom makes these honey bread since I was a baby, to sell before Christmas to her long-time clients in Rio - every year she bakes around 100!. It's with this money that she afford to have our Christmas night the way she loves it, with presents for everybody and a beautiful midnight meal (of course, after we all grew up and started working, we help her with money and bringing dishes & presents for her/our Christmas special night). This recipe was given to her by her bestfriend's mother, who made her swear she would never give it to anyone! And she never gave it, not even for us, her poor daughters! LOL That's my momther, her word is forever. She says that before dying, she will leave a copy for us (meaning that we'll need to wait one or two centuries, I hope!).

It's the best honey bread I've ever eaten, and there's nothing like it in the market. SO here I am, typing and feeling this wonderful perfume...

11 comentários:

Powell River Books said...

I love the smell of fresh baked bread. My mother wasn't a bread maker except on rare occasions. I've had fun trying it out for myself, but have stuck to pretty simple/standard recipes. - Margy

Mother Moon said...

what a wonderful tradition... and the smell of fresh bread is a blessing all its own... I love the colder months for that very reason... the smell of all the good things cooking....You mom sounds like a sweetie all the stories you have told about her...

Wikked Wit said...

Wow! Those are great! I went to your etsy shop and loved your work! I love making things with felt, too. I made a pancake with arms and legs. haha

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Oh, that's funny. My mother had some secret recipes, too. It didn't matter that she finally wrote them down, we could NEVER make them come out exactly like hers. It was her special ability!!! I guess the secret to it will never be known!!! lol!

It is so precious that your mother makes those breads -- literally the work of her hands, to provide a fun Christmas for her loved ones...she is so special.

Anna said...

a wonderful tradition and sounds delicious :-)

Tori said...

I love traditions like that. It just makes a holiday feel special! We have similar things in my family.

Rue said...

I love the smell of baking - especially at my mother's house! Do you think she'd send honey bread to Canada - lol!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tradition! I've never had honey bread before and it looks wonderful, I can almost smell it! I'm so glad to hear she will pass the recipe on to you eventually, perhaps you can carry on the yearly tradition with Lucas-- and his children!-- someday.

Illustrated Ink said...

What a lovely story about your Mother and your Christmas tradition! That bread looks and sounds delicious!

Bridgett said...

Mmmm..honey bread! I bet it's delicious. It's one of my favorites.

)O(
boo

Mama Kelly said...

I can practically smell it from here. Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady!!

Happy Beltane Nydia! May the days ahead be filled with sweetness!