Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ABC Wednesday - F is for Freyja

Hello, everybody! Another week for the ABC fun! And today the Goddess is Freyja.



She is the gorgeous Nordic goddess of love, beauty, fertility, wealth and war, and the leader of the Valkyries. Daughter of the god Njord, and the sister of Freyr. Later Freyja married the mysterious god Od, who disappeared. When she mourned for her lost husband, her tears changed into gold. Patron of young lovers, Freya is viewed as a force for good in the world – protector of the weak, healer, granter of magic and source of love and peace. Cats are particularly sacred to Freya. Two large blue cats given by Thor pull her chariot across the skies under the full moon. Her attributes are the necklace of the Brisings, which she obtained by sleeping with four dwarfs, a cloak of bird feathers, which allows its wearer to change into a falcon. That's an intriguing lady...

For more F posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

11 comentários:

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Thor is a very generous fellow! I love those blue cats -- what is it with oversized blue animals -- here we have the legend of Paul Bunyun and his giant blue ox, Babe...

mrsnesbitt said...

Fascinating - we always learn so much each Wednesday,

Thanks so much
Denise
ABC Team

Roger Owen Green said...

I love this stuff. I've said it before, so I know it's boring, but it's true.

Odin and Frigg are the terms I grew up with.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

Freya is an amazing Goddess. I just adore her.

Unknown said...

Interesting Goddess.
Costas

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

she got a necklace by sleeping with dwarves? LOL- I love mythology!
I wish I could find more interest in Norse God/esse/s, I'm a lot Norwegian, but I think their names are too hard for me. She makes me think I should read up on them.

Unknown said...

Thank you for filling us in with so much information on Freyja! I must post a photo of my Goddesses of the world wall for you some day.
Thank you, Helen Mac, ABC team

Unknown said...

This is a really fun choice of F-word, Freyja! Nice text explanation too.
Best wishes,
Anna's abcWed-F-words

Tumblewords: said...

I might have missed Freyja somewhere, but I'm glad to learn about her now. Mythology is absolutely fascinating. And your posts are perfect!

Anonymous said...

Glad I popped in here. Love and Light, S

Mother Moon said...

I love your goddesses and such... they show just how much love and care you give to the creation of each one and what a wonderful chance to share with Lucas... blessing to you for all you give to others.