Tuesday, August 17, 2010

ABC Wednesday - E is for Epona



Ah, more ABC! :o) I really love this and the monochrome memes...

I couldn't think of any deity for this week other than Epona. What a lovely Goddess!

She's the Celtic Goddess who protects horses, mules and monkeys. She's also a goddess of fertility, and is usually represented with a cornucopy, with keys in her hand, or on horseback, very much like Rhiannon (another dear Goddess to me). She is the only Celtic deity accepted with no changes in ancient Rome for her protective love for horses and thus, Rome's cavalry.

There's not much information about her, but it's said she was born of a man and a mare, who gave birth to her only daughter, the beautiful Epona, who became the Queen of Horses and dreams.

I love all animals, and horses, with their wild power and strenght, are a wonderful gift of Nature. Someone said, "There's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man". Alas, I'm a horrible rider...

For more E posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

*The image is from Amy Brown, another amazing artist I adore.

7 comentários:

Roger Owen Green said...

Did not know this story; very informative, as always.

wv: minera - almost a goddess!

Julie said...

Horses, mules and monkeys!! What a combination ... love it!

Cheryl said...

Your style of writing is so engaging. Thanks for sharing this E post with us. There's a blogger I know who has horses and burros and I kept thinking of her the entire time I read.

Sylvia K said...

I didn't know about this goddess either! What a fun and informative post for the E Day! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Tumblewords: said...

Fascinating, as always! Thanks for a great E!

Rue said...

I have a real fondness for Rhiannon and Epona too. What a great picture!

Reader Wil said...

Great drawing and explanation about the Celtic godess Epona! Thanks for sharing.