Friday, May 28, 2010

Baking time is healing time

Most of you may know that Lucas is going through a difficult phase, falling back about my split. This afternoon he refused to stay at school for the cathoic ceremony's rehearsal (just for waiting for it to finish, since he's obviously not participating) that is goinf to happen next Monday. He lost control and I brought him home after his English test. Before picking him up, I talked to the school's physcologist - whi's also his art class teacher, and she will start working with him, on a subtle way so that he will not really notice is being analyzed, during classes. From this, we see if something deeper will be necessary.

In the way back home, we talked a lot about what happened, and he said (his own words that melted me) that he thought it would be good for him to look forward - he took this expression from that cartoon movie, "Meet the Robinson". I agreed with him, and the talk kept flowing well. We went to the grocery and bought some thngs for a baking time together - something he always love doing with me, and is definitely healing good for his little soul!

I decided trying a recipe that the cute and very awesome lord Brian posted some time ago: banana-praline muffins! I just used a single cake pan, since I don't have muffins cups.
Lucas wanted to make it "all by himself":

He mixed the flours...


Mixed the bananas and brown sugar...


Helped me putting the mix in the cake pan - this is a very old pan, by the way, it was my grandma's, and I love it!


He was all the time wanting to see if it was ready, sniffing the delicious smell that was coming from the oven. The cake ended up absolutely awesome...


.. And I had to pose for him taking a bite while drinking super-hot chocolate (so cold here...), yummy! Lucas ate two slices, and offered everybody some. The recipe's approved, and the little witch's afternoon, a bit sweeter and away from all the stress he's been under.

9 comentários:

Brian said...

I don't know what you're smiling for....I'm not there eating it with you! Poo!

Nydia said...

Awwww... :o)

Unknown said...

I love that pan, I have never seen a bundt cake pan with handles before!

The pics are lovely and the recipe sounds delish!

I hope Lucas gets better, and is able to process his feelings. Please do not blame yourself, you are a wonderful mother who does all she can to make sure Lucas is happy, and I am sure he knows that. Hang in there, it will get better!

Love and hugs!

Nydia said...

Thank you, Bella! I know I'm a good mom (at least I try to), but you know, in times like these I get shaken... But it's part of the process itself, I guess... Kisses! :o)

Unknown said...

Baking a cake with my mother would certainly lift my spirits. Eating it even more so. There are very few evil spirits that can stand up to warm home made cake. Yum!

Janet said...

Yum! The cake looks delicious and the recipe sounds so good....I'm going to try it soon.

Powell River Books said...

That looks so good to warm your spirits and tummies at the same time. - Margy

Roan said...

Looks to me like you are an awesome mom. There's nothing better to soothe a child than helping mom bake. Love the pan! Haven't been by in a while, but I'm trying to catch up. Life gets too busy!

Rue said...

Baking with my mom was the best! I still have wonderful memories of that. Lucas will too - it's a great gift to give a child.