Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ABC Wednsday - R

We reached again letter R and I1m late!  This letter goes for my Rio de Janeiro city, where I was born and live (at least until the beginning of next year!).


Guanabara Bay, at whose shore the city is founded, was discovered in 1502. I just love Rio. Its nature is so exuberant, and there are so many attractives to visit and enjoy!


We have Corcovado Hill, 780 meters above sea level, where is the 38 meters high Christ Statue (inside of it there's a spiral stairs up to Christ's head, but only for its cleaning). This sculpture is really impressive and beaituful, specially his face. And of course, the view from there is fantastic!


Sugar Loaf is another jewel. This 393 meters high granite and quartz mountain is probably Rio's most famous spots, with its cable cars (considered one of the safest in the world) running along the two peaks. It was used on James Bond movie Moonraker, for that  famous fight scene with Jaws.  Shame on me, I never dared to enjoy it so afraid of height I am (funny enough, I love rollercoasters...), but Lucas is dying for the adventure, so I'll have to take a deep breath and go some day...
And of course, there's my beautiful Copacabana beach. I just love this beach. It's just enticing, and in the Summer, many music concerts, national and intrnational are held in its sands. Not to mention the famous New Years' eve firework show, that brings thousands and thousands of people to celebrate the turning of the year in a peaceful event. Its wave pavement is also another hit, and from which I took the background for my Etsy logo.
For more cooler ABC photos, visit here and here!

7 comentários:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Nydia. Probably the most exotic of the week.

Dragonstar said...

This post was worth waiting for. What a beautiful place Rio is! I know you're going to miss it, but you're going to a safer place to live.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I always love the pictures you share of Rio! Such a beautiful place!

Can't wait for pictures of your new home!

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

On behalf of ABC TEAM, I thank you for participating, specially with this AWSOME CITY!!!

VIVA O RIO DE JANEIRO!! VIVA A BOSSA NOVA!!!!

Beijinhos, do outro lado do Atlântico (Azul)

;-)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

WOW, I had no idea that Rio de Janeiro was so lovely!!! It's fantastic. What a jewel. Drop by my blog when you get a chance, I'm posting a graphic I made especially for my pagan bloggie friends!!!

This Guy said...

Wow what a great post! I just love the pictures you share - what an amazing city! :) I wish I lived somewhere beautiful like that (I take Niagara Falls for granted lol) I really love the beach. Do you feel like you are on vacation every day, or is it just 'home' for you?

Powell River Books said...

Your pictures make me feel like I am there. I'm afraid of heights, but less so than I was five years ago. I've been afraid of high places as far back as I can remember. When I discovered Powell River and quadding I was really hindered by it. I decided at 54 that I needed to do something about it. I went to a psychologist and worked on it for about a year. He helped me take "baby steps" to desensitize myself. Now I can climb stairs, use escalators and ride along steep roads much better. I'm not "cured" but I can do so much more. It was worth the time and effort. -- Margy