Saturday, October 16, 2010

Of books and hungers



I think everybody knows I'm a bookworm. Since I've learned how to read, I'm always with a book in my hands (at 9 mom found me with "How to Kill a Mockingbird" and almost fainted because it was too strong for my innocent mind, lol), and there's nothing more comforting for me than to find my bedside table with a pile of book waiting for me to read. The world may be falling apart around me, but if I have a book, it's okay.

Internet is an amusement park for reading lovers, but still, nothing can be compared to the physical book in my humble opinion, I love the weight, the smell of the pages while I turn them eating a bar of chocolate in bed, the beauty of printed words.

Learning is so fun for a hungry soul like mine, and I miss learning something new these past years. As I worked full-time with a tight budget, no extra time and a non-supportive husband, it was impossible to get into any classes (only once, I had Translation complement classes in the evening, a very long time ago). Now that I am here, and things are finally getting back into tracks, I started to get that hunger again. I love mythology, specially the Greek, but lately, since I started creating Deities from the Celtic pantheon for my shop, I developed a passion for these lores, their goddesses and gods. Friends suggested me some books to start diving into this more deeply, but I still want more suggestions - the more the better! So feel free to tell me your favorite Celtic myth/History authors here! Did you hear, Meri?? lol

I already ordered my first two books on the subject: "The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog", by Patricia Monaghan and "The Red Branch", by Morgan Llywelyn. Now I have to be a good witch and patiently wait for them to arrive from across the ocean (we don't have them published yet here)...

6 comentários:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, nothing beats holding a book in your hand and feeling the weight of it. Audiobooks are great, but nothing beats a real book!
Great post!

Wendy said...

I have at least three books going on at the same time. Have you read; "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"? There's three of them in the series and they are hands down my favorite books at the moment. I just bought myself a Kindle and it definitely doesn't have the feel of an actual book, it's dangerous for book lovers like us, because we can read one book, finish it and then download a ton more. I used to vow I'd never get one, but I love it! It also is much more environmentally friendly as I don't have a ton of books lying around and I'm not running out of space in my house anymore because of all my books :) I'll be interested in hearing about your books that you're going to read.

Aisha @The Bewitching Bibliophile said...

I loved Red hair girl from the bog, if you want mythology books, for the celtic system no one and i mean no one beats Caitlin Matthews and her husband John Matthews. for stuff on druidism there is Emma Restall Orr, Ross Nichols
the mist filled path by M.A. Frank MacEowen and Toman Cowan, as well as the Celtic Way of Seeing by the same author and the spiral memory and belonging a Celtic path of soul and kinship, there is DJ Conway's BY Oak Ash and thorn about Celtic Shamanism, Women in celtic Myth Movra Caldecott, Celtic women's spirituality, celtic myth and magic by edain mccoy, the celtic reader by john matthews. let me know if you need anymore i can look deeper onto my selves if you like best of luck

Anonymous said...

I share your love of books! Nothing beats having paper and ink in your hands!

You will thoroughly enjoy Red Branch since you are interested in Celtic Mythology. It is one of my favorites!

Blessings,
Marci

Lilac Wolf (Angie or Angela) said...

Not sure, I've had one about Merlin...makes for a good keyword, lots of books there.

Mama Kelly aka Jia said...

Ive been a bookworm since I learned to read as well. So much so that I used to read the ingredient labels on the cereal box as my mom was really strict about "no books at the table"

LOL