Wednesday, October 20, 2010

ABC Wednesday - N is for Nike


Last night I was having dinner with my little witch, and planning which deity I'd post about today. When I asked him which one he would suggest, he said without hesitation, "Nike!". ;)

So Nike is here today. The Greek Goddess of Victory and strenght, with her wings to fly over battlefields indicating the victorious armies (I wouldn't be surprised if the warriors spent more time looking up to the skies looking for Her than fighting, lol). Daughter of the Titan Pallas and the Goddes Styx, she was taken by her mother, with her siblings, to help Zeus and the Olympians in His war against the Titans. She was chosen to be the Gods' charioteer then.

The shoes company Nike is named after this Goddess (now you know why its symbol is that stylized wing!).

Oh And the Jules Rimet Trophy had Her figure as well. The Brazilian soccer Team won this beautiful trophy in the World Cup of 1970. Years later, stupid thieves robbed and melted it.

For more N posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

9 comentários:

Unknown said...

Pallas and Styx? Ye gods, what a home life, lol!

Roger Owen Green said...

Ah, I better put on my sneakers and read this. Should I wear Reeboks or Converse?

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Unknown said...

Great post Nydia and I love the statue of Nike. Lucas has good choice :)

jabblog said...

Most interesting, Nydia :-)

Tumblewords: said...

Ah, yes! I love these mythicals!

Illustrated Ink said...

I must be the last to not know that about Nike shoes! Thank you for informing me! :)

That's too bad about the soccer trophy being stolen and melted, some people just hold nothing sacred.

Wanda said...

I was wondering, is Reeboks a goddess??

The statue is very impressive.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I remember when I first watched A Knight's Tale and I saw that Heath Ledger's armor had a modified Nike logo on it and I almost fell over laughing.
Great post!

Rue said...

I love this statue. What a shame that the trophy was melted!

I also wanted to say that I am so excited that I won your sweet keyrings on Mrs. B's giveaway a few days ago! I have always admired your sewing skills and your wonderful creations!