Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ABC Wednesday - J is for Jupiter


Hello, ABC friends! As the planet Jupiter came so close to us this Monday, I had to bring the Jupiter god to this week letter!

Jupiter is for the Romans what Zeus is for the Greeks (to tell the truth, I tend to sigh for Greek lores more, lol). The great God of the skies, Dies Pater (Shining Father), throwing lightning-bolts all around when challenged or upset. This powerful deity was the son of Ops and Saturn, and married Juno - Hera for the Greek -, another powerful (and some say, bad-tempered) Goddess. He also ruled over the public morality in Rome.

For more J posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

9 comentários:

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I hope to goodness that anyone like Zeus doesn't rule public morality- he was such a rascal!

Unknown said...

A mighty God. I think you should have mentioned he had some very human passions. He used to be chasing every female he set his eyes upon, mating with whoever he could when Juno (Hera) was not looking...
Sometimes he used to transform himself into other entities like a bull or golden rain to deceit the woman he was after.
Have a great day Nydia.
Costas

mrsnesbitt said...

fascinating Nydia!

denise
ABC Team

Lilac Wolf (Angie or Angela) said...

I love the greek myths more myself, as I always felt the Roman's stole the greek myths and didn't really get to the soul of them.

Wendy said...

What a beautiful, "J" Nydia, I love the illustrations and the little jovial tidbit about "Jupiter" ;)

Ponderosa Pagan said...

last year in school I took a class that was based on the Greek and Roman religion and too examine how they interacted with theirs gods was amazing. Love the ABC

Roger Owen Green said...

HA! I did Jupiter too! Well, it WAS the obvious pick, and I WAS stepping on YOUR turf...

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Amber said...

Oh Nydia, how I have missed you... Allow me to wax poetic for just a moment and say I have missed all of my bloggy friends but I think I've missed you the most! You always had the best comments on my blog! Anyway, was just stopping by to see how things are with you and to say hi and wax poetic about how much I missed you. Now that that has been accomplished I will go back to my bloggy home and leave you alone lol (well until the next time I decide to stalk your blog again lol)

Leanna said...

Hey sweetie, You wanted to see my goddess Gaia. Go to my blog and check out the pictures.