Thursday, September 2, 2010

ABC Wednesday - G is for Gaia

I know I have already posted about Her before, but couldn't resist doing it again for the ABC fun.

This sweet Goddess is one of my favorites, and I have Her images in my place along with Hestia. My favorite is still the one Lucas colored years ago:



Gaia is the Greek Goddess of Earth. She is the daughter of Chaos, and is believed to be the mother as well as the wife of Uranus (the sky) and Pontus *the sea). According to the Greek mythology she is a primeval goddess who was the Mother of other Gods, and the 12 Titans: Oceanus, Phoebe, Rhea, Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, Tethys, Theia, Themis, Mnemosyne.

The Greeks worship Gaia even today, and the ancient Greeks considered her as a Mother of all things, believing that every movable and living beings sprang up from her.

I see Lovelock's Gaia Theory as something obvious... Being a pagan mom, it's just natural for me to feel our planet as a living organism. We know well how She answers to the pain that some stupid humans inflict to Her, and how sweetly She feels the love most of us give to Her.

For more G posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

6 comentários:

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I love her too! I link her to mother nature~

Roger Owen Green said...

In a book of politically correct fairy tales someone gave me, Gretel changes her name to Gaia and tries to save the forest that she and her brother Hansel have been adandoned in! Was reading this just this week. Fun coincidence!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful, definitely brings Mother Nature to my mind also.

Blessings,
Marci

Leanna said...

Gaia has always been Mother Nature to me. I always dedicate my prayers and chants to her in helping to heal the Earth. I always light my white, blue, and green candles on my alter where her small statue of sits in the center with flowers around her. It's very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Nature is always beautiful and all the ancient sultures worshipped nature in all its forms.
In India we worship nature in different forms. Many of our dieties are derived from natures elements like sun god, fire god, wind god, river godesses etc. But their is a supreme Mother God called Shakti(Power). She is called Ma Shakti. Ma is hindi for mother.


http://snowleopardshoots.wordpress.com/
http://unpredictableblog.wordpress.com/

Rune Eide said...

I have a high respect for Lovelock's scientific Gaia-theories, but not the New Age interpretation of them.