Thursday, September 16, 2010

ABC Wednesday - H for Hestia & I for Inanna

Hello folks! It's been a time I don't blog, only because I'm extra busy crafting, thank the gods! :)


I ended up missing last week letter, so tonight I'll share my H and I.



H is for Hestia, my favorite Goddess. She's a very popular deity among witches, the virgin Goddess of family hearth and meals. The first child of Kronos and Rhea, Hestia was also the goddess of the sacrificial flame and received a share of every sacrifice to the gods, and the first bit of every meal. I have two cute images from artist friends at home, being the one on the right on our kitchen now:



And I is for Inanna or Ishtar, the most important goddesses on the Sumerian pantheon, is the Goddess of love and war, daughter of the moon Goddess Nanna. Like Persephone, she went to the Underworld where she was detained because she was killed. After killing her, the Underworld God Ereshkigal hung Inanna on the wall. The God of wisdom Enki intervenes to save her life, which then results in a stand-in for Inanna, her husband Dumazi and his sister Geshtinanna, each spending half the year in the Underworld, causing the change of seasons.

For more I posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

5 comentários:

Unknown said...

I love your blog. There is so much detail from the Greek Mythology in it.
Costas

Roger Owen Green said...

so THAT's why the seasons change! I thought it had to do with the movement of the earth in relationship to the sun. My bad. ;-)

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jay said...

Those are godesses I've never heard of, and their stories are so interesting!

Jay - ABC Team.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these Goddesses interesting stories!

Blessings,
Marci

mrsnesbitt said...

Fascinating - we learn so much don't we?
Denise
ABC Team