Monday, July 26, 2010

A new Karpov... or Karparov... or any other chess genius



... Says the drooling mom. A couple of weeks ago, my brother got home with this old chessboard he found at his photography club that was forgotten at the bottom of a drawer. He lended it to Lucas and my 19-year-old nephew taught him the basic rules and pieces moving. He immediately fell in love with it and wanted to play with him - the game took two hours, a patience record for both players!

Since then, he has to play at least once a day with me, my brother or my nephew. It's super-funny to watch his frownings while planning the best moves. I think what mainly attracted him was the "battle" scene he's got in his mind from Harry Potter, and the different moves each piece is allowed to make, making things more dynamic - if this can be said about chess.

What I know is that I play with him and he beats me every time. You see what a great player I am, slooooooow... lol!

The chessboard never leaves the dinner table now, and hours fly while we are over it, eating peanuts or popcorn and trying to checkmate - we never got there yet, though!

12 comentários:

Rue said...

What a great thing to teach Lucas! I loved chess as a teen, but haven't played it in years.

Diandra said...

Chess is fun, and it teaches us many different things - strategies, patience, ...

I'd love to really learn it someday, but I don't see where the time should come from to do so. *sigh*

Try keeping up with the little one, otherwise he might get bored!

Roan said...

What a great way to spend time with your son. Chess is a bit too complicated for my easily distracted brain. I sometimes play with my husband, but always lose. He's a really great player.

Mother Moon said...

when I was young I remember playing chess or watching others play for hours at my uncles house. I love the strategy of the game... still do.

left a little something over at my blog for you... thanks for your blessings.

Anonymous said...

I also taught my son to play chess. I used to beat him almost all the time. Then when he grew up, he wanted to play me a game and I agreed. Wow. He made short work of me and beat me badly. LOL

Kids try and usually do better than their parents.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Sweet Man and I love to play chess. He was so proud of the fact that he played a guy and beat a guy who played and beat Bobby Fischer. I know too old a reference but there ya go.
SM tried to teach our daughter but she never wanted to play...now GK is a different matter. She and her friend across the street play at least once a week. This little girls 18 year old brother plays with SM and sometimes it feels like I am raising those kids too, they are here so much.
Good life lessons in chess. Congratulations to your little witch, GK's little bro in Brazil.

Janet said...

Chess is a great learning tool. I'm so happy to see Lucas is learning to play.

Dragonstar said...

Well done Lucas! The best that can be said about my chess ability (?) is that I know the basic moves :)

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

Wonderful! He is at a perfect age to start chess, and it really helps hone the thinking ahead skills.

amy said...

I don't even know how to play chess Lucas! :) I should learn how as I do play games with Melody sometimes but more of the Candyland or memory variety so far. I think Harry Potter is better in more ways than we ever realized for younger kids!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

What a great thing to get Lucas involved with! And so much better than setting in front of a tv all day, lol! Have fun!!

Illustrated Ink said...

What a smart little man! I have wanted to be able to play chess forever, but I'm such a slow learner with it! I'm jealous! :D