Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ABC Wednesday - X is for Xanthus



I love this myth about the loyal, strong, mytical and beautiful horses:

Taken from Wikipedia: In Greek mythology, Xanthus and Balius were two immortal horses. Poseidon gave them to King Peleus of Phtia, as a wedding gift, when Peleus married the Ocean goddess Thetis. Peleus later gave the horses to his son Achilles who took them to draw his chariot during the Trojan War.

On the powerful image above, you see Automedon, Achilles' charioteer, controlling the horses.

Greek myths are simply wonderful and so rich, can't never get enough of them.


For more X posts, visit the ABC page, created by Denise Nesbitt, and join the fun!

15 comentários:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, I love Greek Mythology, Nydia! I studied it in college, I visited Greece and spent two weeks there traveling all over the country. This is a marvelous post for the X day! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Roger Owen Green said...

Xcellent choice! love the myths, esp the Greco-Roman ones.

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I love the greek myths as well- the half naked men in the paintings aren't bad either.

Tumblewords: said...

I, too, love the myths! Xcellent choice!

mrsnesbitt said...

I love myths - so full of wonderful detail and outcomes.

Reader Wil said...

Yes Greece is the cradle of western civilization! When I was in Greece we followed the footsteps of the apostle Paul and learnt a lot about the Greek mythology, but ,as you say, it's so rich and complicated that I couldn't remember everything.
Great post, Nydia.

Bird said...

What a beautiful site you have here. I'm so happy I found you this morning. Thank you for the wonderful lesson and all the fantastic photos you have here.

Beautiful.

Peace,
Bird
http://hedgebirdhaven.blogspot.com/

Lilac Wolf (Angie or Angela) said...

Oh yeah, I used to read every greek myth book I could find in the library. They were like the original soap operas. :D

Rune Eide said...

Now, that must be the most original X I have seen so far - and with new knowledge (at least to me). Thank you!

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I tagged you on my blog- to write 25 things about yourself.

Jama said...

I didn't know about Greek mythology, so learn something new today, thanks to you!

Your son is so adorable.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I love horses!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

imagine owning such a horse.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

So Strange! I left a comment here yesterday and saw that it got posted, now it´s gone?? Something is wrong with blogger I think!
Christer.

Nydia said...

Sigh.. Blogger can't start acting up like Facebook...