Monday, April 2, 2012

Brazilian Cornbread

Some Facebook friends asked me to share my cornbread recipe:


This simple, delicious recipe is in our family for decades, given by a friend when I was a little kid. I have it handwritten in my old recipe book, and the page is all stained by use. It's a must at home - I make it almost on a weekly basis, since it's Lucas' favorite cake along with my carrot cake with chocolate frosting.

It's very easy to make and it bakes pretty fast. So here it is:

Ingredients:
  • 200g butter in room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 eggs
Directions:
  • In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar, then add the other ingredients, one by one, in the above-mentioned sequence, mixing them very well.
  • Pour the mix into a greased and floury baking pan. Bake at 554° F for more or less 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cut into squares. Devour it.
I like to spread a thin layer of butter on my slice to watch it melting before I savor it with a mug of hot chocolate. It's a dream. :o)

2 comentários:

Diandra said...

Thanks for sharing, this sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nydia ~ I was just wondering.. is that temperature correct in there? "Bake at 554° F" ? I'm thinking goodness, the max on our oven is 550 itself and I don't think we've ever turned it up that high for anything :-o

The recipe sounds delicious though ~ I love cornbread and haven't had any for ages! I may have to try yours out. :-)

~Cheyenne from fb