Wednesday, May 25, 2011

To fight a cough


So the little witch was being annoyed by a persistent cough since he got a little cold by the end of March. I took him to the doctor and it's simply that cough which is always the last thing to go away... After taking allophatic syrups that didn't seem to work, my mom remembered an old recipe my grandmother used to give when she was coughing or with a sore throat. It took her a while to finally find the recipe among her belongins, still with my grandma's hand-writting, so sweet! It's quite simple and delicious. After two days, Lucas' cough got really better, and now it only comes in the morning, when he gets up to this "lovely" weather of ours.

So here it is, in case you guys want to try it - and it's already in my BOS, better safe than sorry...:

2 cups of sugar
3 cups of water
1 medium piece of ginger, washed and sliced
1 sliced lemon, without seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
A handful of cloves

Melt the sugar in a saucepan, placed over low heat, until it gets a golden color, add the water, the ginger, the lemon, the cinnamon and cloves. Let the mix boil up for ten minutes with the saucen pan covered. Turn off the heat, and rest it in infusion for 15 minutes. Filter and take it warm, up to 4 times a day. It can be kept in the fridge for two weeks. Adults: 1 tablespoon each time / Children: 1 dessertspoon each time.

Let me know if you tried it! ;)

7 comentários:

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

Thank You! this winter we had a really persistant cough going around. I'll keep this if it comes back next year

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Nydia! That recipe will come in handy this winter!

Blessings,
Marci

Lady Godiva said...

This sounds great....and so delicious too, that I might be tempted to drink the whole thing! :)

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Lydia said...

Awesome Nydia, thank you! Going in my BoS as well! Mooch had that awful cough as she got over croup, I thought I would lose my mind. Every morning "hack hack hack HACCKKK" Ugh. Hope Lucas continues doing well! :-)

Djarfskald said...

Interesting. I've just caught a cough and a sore throat. I think I'll give this a go! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Nydia this sounds yummy too ! I'm trying to make elder berry syrup and hoping it will turn out .we don't have them here so I've got to buy dried .Thanks for the info and recipe ☺

Unknown said...

Ooh, lots of nice, clearing heat in there. I'll definitely keep this filed away for my next cough :-)