Saturday, May 28, 2011

Still on being a witch and raising a little witch


I know that since yesterday words have been spread like lightning on this subject - they will never be enough - but watching my son today I was thinking...

What's the best religion? Which is the right faith? Of course, there is no absolute truth about one's spiritual path - although the recent events tried to prove it wrong. For me, the best religion, the right faith, is the one you feel at home with. The faith you feel comforted, where you find, if not all the answers to this crazy world and how it works, at least some of them. The best religion is the one that makes yo put your head on your pillow at night, and feel covered by a mantle of inner peace, strenght and serenity face all the nonsense that is thrown at our faces everyday, no matter if you're Christian, Muslin, Jew, Hindu, Pagan... If it makes sense to you, it's your spiritual home, and if it's the right one for you, I'm happy for that.

I'm absolutely cozy and comfortable being pagan and I'm proud of raising my little son on my path - while teaching him about other faiths, and making sure he knows he's free to change his mind and go find another path that better suits his soul, if in the future he feels that paganism is not for him. I know that many parents choose to keep their kids on a neutral field, not wanting to influence them on their spirituality, but I think it's just natural that my son, while a kid, follows my religion. He's used to the scent of incenses and to the light of candle flames since he was in my belly. If I was Catholic, he would probably attend the Sunday mass with me. If I was a Jew, he would read the Torah with me, etc.

I never force him to celebrate sabbaths or to perform rituals/spells. He simply shows such interest and joy that it's a pleasure for me to answer his priceless, never-ending questions and to how him my point of view. He's such a precious little thing who's constantly challenging me to debate - almost like a grown-up - the many sides and possibilities of the spiritual world. He loves reading to me about deities' stories when I'm creating my Goddesses & Gods. He loves making his own potions and amulets, and performing his own rituals at his altar. He honors and respects the eldelry as they are the symbols of his ancestrals. He's taught to be graciously strong on his opinions, and to never bow down to anyone. "Question", I tell him, not to have a blind faith, and to understand that it's important to check facts before assuming.

Nature is sacred to us and he would never hurt or kill a living creature, because that's how I taught him, and he feels it's right. I try to keep my little witch's eyes open to the beauty surrounding him. To watch the lovely cloud patterns that are constantly changing in the sky, specially during these cold weather days. To enjoy watching and feeling the beautiful ancient trees along the streets and to pay attention to the little things that will make a difference in his mood when he's a grown-up man and hard days come and he'll need to feel centered somehow.

He reads about herbs, and is starting to be really interested on their magickal properties. He naturally worships the Goddess & the God, seeing them in every aspect of Nature, and in every aspect of himself.

One thing I tell him since tender ages is "Always respect others, to be respected as well." He even wrote about it in one of his school's compositions, so much I repeat it to him on a daily basis. Obviously we all know this is not so simple, but he will learn to deal with the complexities of my quote in the right time. If he truly understands and keeps it in his mind and heart for the future, I'm happy.

Never mock on anyone, never be arrogant to think your faith or your ideas are better than anyone else's, I tell him. Diversity is something to honor and respect. H's coming to an age that being different may have an extra weight on his or his little friends' shoulders, and I want to be sure he'll be prepared to stand up for what he think it's right without needing to be aggressive or mean. So far he's doing alright on his walk.

On a nutshell (a loooong nutshell, lol), this is how I how I share my spirituality with my son, and how I would really love to see him sharing his own chosen spirituality with his kids, someday. I hope to blessed enough to live to that day.


PS: Blame on my verborragy a super-late hours when I posted this. I forgot the most important! Let's keep voting for Kris and all the pagan blogs at Circle of Moms!! :)

18 comentários:

Sherry )O( AutumnTurtle said...

Nydia, what a beautiful and very thoughtful post! I wish I had found my path when my children were younger so they could have grown within it. They were taught to respect people and nature and all that there is and as men I one that is very close to pagan and one that believes in himself and his power. I think I did well.
Much love to you and Lucas!
Love and Light

greekwitch said...

Although i am not a mother yet, i constantly think what it will be like raising a child without baptising it. If it would attend the religion class in school that is just about christianity. How would it be treated by the other kids? Your post gave me faith! We will do okay! Your words are empowering and beautiful.
Be blessed!

Sosanna said...

Wonderful Post. I love it. I had all types of religious books in my house showing all types of religions, but mine of course because the X felt it was Devil Worship, He actually pulled over be side the road one day while I was pregnant and made me say "I accept Jesus as my savior and rebuke all evil". Little creepy that one, that's why the X is in there. I loved your post, wonderful and right on.

Love it!

petoskystone said...

lovingly written! unfortunately, even though i live in a large east coast city, i had to be very circumspect raising my child. evangelicals all around, when she was in grade school one classmate came up to her & told her she was going to the devil as she didn't attend his church.

Hailey Marie said...

Nydia, that was an absolutely beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lady Godiva said...

Beautifully said! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nydia....Definitely supporting Mrs. B!

I am blogging again at http://domesticgoddess2128.blogspot.com/

Hope to see you there!

Blessings,
Marci

Maebius said...

As always, a beautiful and inspiring post. Keep up the wonderful work you do as a mom! The lessons Lucas is learning will stay with him, and enrich the world. :)

This Guy said...

What a beautiful post. I love your truths! :) Blessings my friend!

Unknown said...

So well put, I have 2 little ones of my own who are very young so I'm just beginning my journey in regards to this with them.

Kate Palmer said...

Wow - I wish there were more people in the world like you, it would be a much better place. Thumbs up for raising your son in such a thoroughly enlightened way and thanks for sharing it with us.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Nydia, you are one of the very best moms I know! I have no doubts that your little one will continue on a path to being a loving, accepting, strong man who stands up for his beliefs at the same time he holds out his hand in friendship.

You continue to inspire me on a daily basis!

Love you both!!

Bekah said...

What a lovely post. It is nice to read and learn about other's ways of raising their children on the path. I think raising a child on your path is just a natural thing to do. To give them a comfortable zone with which to learn and grow in their own spirituality.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

The best religion is the one that makes you a better person....yes. You are always an inspiration because you are authentic. Kindness, respect, self love, appreciation of what you have are all attributes to aspire to and Lucas is very fortunate as are you to have that strong loving connection to one another. You are raising an amazing youngster who will be an amazing man. And the fact that you share part of yourselves with those of us who love you.....is magickal. And after all, the magick is everything.

Powell River Books said...

You are good and supportive mother. I was "sent" to church as a child but was not raised in any religion. Nothing stuck but the values I learned, so maybe that wasn't a bad thing in the end. - Margy

Unknown said...

My 13 year old and I have, as he's been growing up, always had a sort of spiritual connection. We aren't religious in my family. But I'm of the Earth, and my path is most comfortably walked with beliefs of the Old Faiths. It's neat, because although I never have pushed any religion, and never would, we talk about many. We talk about crystals, Tarot, I Ching, Mojo Bags, you name it and it's the neatest thing to see him coming to his own belief structure which so happens to be so much like my own.

Thanks for your lovely writings! Amy

Shai Williams said...

What a wonderful post! I don't have any kids but I love hearing about Lucas and his path.

Anonymous said...

this is really beautiful post Nydia !
I am so happy I brought our kids up attending pow wow and mass ☺ that they are open to all religions , that everyone is entitled to the gift of belief ☺
did you know June 24th is fairy day !!! I am so very excited . there is a fairy day button too you can get one at fairy day website . maybe mums would like to post on that day fairy houses , food , altars etc.
my grandson has been sprinkling fairy dust around the cottage with his elf friends bonkle & joe to keep trolls away ;-)I love being a granny